Wednesday 29 June 2011

Night passage from Orkney

<p>Well when I say night officially at 0015 it is but as the sun set an hour and forty five minutes ago and its due up at 0410 I think this is about as dark as it will become tonight. I wonder whether I shall see the 'green flash' again, as I did on our crossing to Orkney, at sunrise? We are 14 nm ENE of Cape Wrath lighthouse which we've been able to see for the last ten miles or so. Sadly we are currently motorsailing, which is an improvement on just motoring but is necessary in order that we make it around the corner before the tide turns against us at about 0500. So far we've used about a third of a tank since leaving Stromness so I'm glad I topped up. The sea has been pretty lumpy with a large swell at times so the engine has been working quite hard. The fact the tachometer packed up about ten days ago isn't too helpful. First Mate and unusually the ship's dog, I say that because he usually hates the possibility he might miss something, are both on crewrest. Destination? Not sure yet. If we can sail we might just continue and head over to Stornoway if not it will be back to Kinlochbervie to fill up! Trust you are all sleeping well!


No comments:

Post a Comment